Snail farming business is one lucrative business a lots of Nigerian has been ignoring while some few are making a fortune from it. I have noticed this business for a while now and this has made me go out on research and also tap from those in the business and doing very well with it.
So if you have been ignoring this business like every other Nigerian is doing then I will like to give you some solid reasons why you should start a snail farming business right away.. before I even go further do you even know that snail is exportable to other countries whether in smaller quantity or in bulky quantity.
Some reasons why you should start a snail farming business today
- Snail has a very high nutritional value and it has grown to become a very popular delicacy yet it is not commonly seen in most restaurant due to inability to get it, that’s where you can capitalize on. it is also very rich in calcium phosphorus, magnesium, vitamin E, selenium and vitamin C major nutrient essential in human health.
- Snail is also a major source of protein and this is very rampant amongst those who are sensitive about their weight because it is very low in calories and fat. And also it is beneficial to people suffering from diseases such as cardiovascular disease and cancer not forgetting people trying to recover from an injury
- Like I said earlier, only few people in Nigeria are into snail farming and this is going to be very profitable for you, Nigeria has a population of over 160million people and thousands of restaurants scattered all over the country; this means that if you start a snail farming business now, then you are actually making a very smart move as the demand cannot even be met by the existing local farmers.
- In snail farming, you do not need a large sum of capital to start, that is it is not capital intensive unlike poultry farming and fish farming that require a lot of capital. Snail feeds are readily available everywhere and it can even be produced by anyone because snails feed on waste so no need for some complex feeding formula and combination. This snail farming business is also one business you can start from your backyard and later graduate to a larger snail farm.
Do you know that before now, the only way people think they can get snail was to go hunt for them in the bush or nearby garden after rainfall or during the night because that is when snail are known to be in the open. The reason for this is because majority of Nigerian do not know that could be easily reared domestically as we rear fish , chicken, goats etc
So now that you know how profitable snail farming is let us talk about factors that should be considered when starting this interesting snail farming business for commercial purpose.
Factors to consider when starting a snail farming business
Location And Environment: when thinking of starting a snail farm, the best location and environment to think of is a low plain downhill site, the snail farm should be well housed and be protected from excess wind because this would dry out and even dehydrate the snail, that is why it is best to have banana trees or plantain trees planted around the snail farm to keep the wind in check, so it can be located in a place with this characteristics.
It is also worthy of note to know that snail cannot be reared on concrete floor because this is detrimental to their health, the floor to be used for your snailery must be made up of a balanced soil that is soil which is not too dry neither too waterlogged. Likewise it is also important to know that the floor should not acidic or clayey in nature as this is also detrimental to the health of the snail. The type of soil that is most suitable for your snail farm is a sandy loamy soil like those used in agriculture for farming with low water retention. The soil is a very critical factor in the growth and survival of the snails because the calcium that is used in the formation of the snail shell by it is gotten directly from the soil, likewise the soil is a source of water to it and also a perfect ground to lay its eggs.
Depending on how large you want your snail farm to be, your snail can be reared in a large covered box if you considered going for a small scale farming or a concrete pen with a soil flooring if you wish to go for a larger scale.
The soil to be used on the snail farm must be about 10 inches deep and you should use fresh leaves or wet clothes to control the temperature of the farm. For you to protect your snail against predators such as snakes, rats and termites you should make a barbed wired fence all around the snail house.
Go for training: before thinking of starting a snail farm, you first need to make sure you have an adequate knowledge of the business and for you to have this you need to enroll for at least a month training in a snail farm so you can understand the operation and management better, knowledge is a very important requirement for success in sail farming business, not just snail, farming but every other business.
Do your feasibility studies: after you must have gotten all the needed knowledge to help you in operating and managing your snail farm successfully, you should also make sure that you conduct a market feasibility studies for your snail farming project. Let me give you some of the questions you should ask yourself and also ask about;
- What are the factors militating against snail farming in Nigeria?
- How much capital is needed to setup a snail farm, stock it with snails and run it effectively?
- Where is the best place to site your farm and how close is it to the market?
- How much is a bag or basket of snail sold in your area?
- How long (months or years) will it take you to make your money back? etc
Prepare a business plan: when you must have conducted your feasibility studies and writing a detailed breport about your findings then it is now time for you to make the feasibility studies into a business plan, this is important especially when it comes to finding funds for your business either from banks or maybe investors, a business plan will be needed in case you wish to access a government grant and loans as well as help you plan your future growth and improvement strategy..
How To Source For Snails
As you are ready to start your snail farming now, you will need some snail to start with, you have to be very careful when selecting snails, you must ensure that the snails are fertile and in perfect condition. The best place to go to when looking for initial stock is inside the bushes. If you get your snail directly from their natural habitat, they will always be in the best condition since they have not been exposed to excessive sunlight which would dehydrate them most times and further make them less fertile.
But if you think that getting snail directly from the bushes would be too much work for you then you can buy snail eggs from the market and you cover them up with cocoyam leaves in a plastic bowl with a wet sand placed in it and leave them to hatch.
The process for hatching the egg would take between 21 to 28 days then you can start to feed and take care of the baby snails and watch them multiply in numbers since snail reproduce faster and in larger numbers.
Before getting your snail from the market, you need to know the different species of snail we have that can be reared and which is best to rear..
Species Of Snails
1. Achatina fulica – This is known as the East African land snail, or giant African land snail,which scientific name is Achatina fulica
2. Achatina Achatina – this is otherwise known as the tiger giant snail or giant Ghana snail, it is a species of very large, air-breathing land snail, mollusk in the family Achatinidae.
3. Archachatina Marginata – this is otherwise known as the giant West African snail, is a species of air-breathing tropical land snail,mollusk in the family Achatinidae. It have the ability to grow up to 20cm long, and live up to 10 years.
From the above listed specie, the most suitable specie for rearing is the achantina achantina because of its high reproductive capacities also it is very easy to find.
Like I said earlier in the post, Snails are very versatile feeders, so they can feed on anything from leaves to fruits. Snails can also feed on cocoyam leaves, cassava and okra leaves, cabbage, lettuce, pawpaw as well as eggplant leaves. Snails can also feed on fruits like mangoes, banana, pawpaw, tomatoes and pears.
So it is very important that you give your sails the right food that would aid tissue growth and supply calcium needed to grow their shells. It is important that you feed your snails with the right food that would support tissue growth and supply calcium needed to grow their shells. Though snail can feed on crude plants like the once I listed above but also there are specially formulated snail feeds in the market that you can use to feed your snail for improved growth and maximum productivity.
Harvesting your snails
When you are harvesting your snails, it is of utmost importance to make sure that you handle them carefully, you can harvest them into a very clean container made of plastic, or basket or bowl or in a box for carriage to the place you want to sell it. Avoid overloading the container. The best stocking should be 10kg per container so as not to hurt or stress the snails. 8.
Marketing your snails
There are so many ways to market your snail, in fact it’s easier to market your snail than feeding them, there are many restaurant, fast food and eateries in the country, you can sell your snail to them especially those with snail meals on their menu. If you intend selling a wholesale you can promote your snail farm online via social Medias, forums, blogs and so on and so forth. You can as well process your snails for export to other countries.
In conclusion,I would say that snail farming business is a very lucrative and profitable business that is guaranteed to bring a lot of profit and a stable source of income you can rely on anytime unlike the white collar job.
Offer For A Do It Yourself Snail Farming Business Guide
As you can see that this business is very profitable and I want you to start it as soon as possible, so I have contacted an expert in the snail farming business and asked for a compilation of a do it yourself guide, and the guide is ready for anyone willing to venture into the business at a cost of #5000 naira only and you can get it by sending an email to email@example.com and here are what you will learn from it.
- MAJOR TYPES OF SNAIL FARMING
- SNAIL’S MODE OF LIFE
- WHY SNAIL FARMING
- COST OF FARMING
- REARING METHODS
- IMPORTANT FACTORS TO CONSIDER
- COMMERCIAL SCALE FARMING
- SMALL SCALE SNAIL FARMING
- SETTING UP A PEN/FARM
- REQUIRMENTS FOR SNAIL FARMING
- SOURCING YOUR FOUNDATION STOCK
- LATEST TECHNOLOGY IN SNAIL BREEDING
- RECORD KEEPING
- ROUTINE DUTIES
- SNAIL ENEMIES
- REDUCING SNAIL MORTALITY (DEATH RATE)
- EQUIPMENTS & TOOLS FOR SNAIL FARMING
- MAJOR REASONS FOR SNAIL BREEDING
- MARKETTING OUTLETS
- MANAGEMENT TIPS etc
And also do not forget to drop a comment whether to encourage me to do more or to ask a question, please just drop a comment after reading this post, i will try as best as possible to reply your comment.